3.07.2011

Travelers and Magicians

Travelers and Magicians
Bhutan
2003
Starring:  Tshewang Dendup, Sonam Lhamo, and Lhakpa Dorji

When I saw this movie I watched it mainly because I wanted to visually explore Bhutan as much as this movie would allow.  It certainly satisfied some of my curiosity with some gorgeous scenery, but I know there are many spectacular wonders the cinematography in this film didn't touch.  With that said, being the first movie from Bhutan that I've watched I had to see what type of story it conveyed.   I found the beginning a little strange and almost annoying, but it was worth sticking out the first 20 minutes as the movie changed drastically.

From the beginning this movie is a story of travelers.  Dondup travels the mountain roads for days so that he can get to the capital and move to the United States.  Along the way as he rides buses and hitchhikes as he is forced to travel with a growing group of people.  One person whose path was crossed in this journey was a monk with a story to tell.  His story of a dreamland is mystical and certainly has its own meaning amongst choices the travelers will one day have to make.

Quote:  "A peach blossom is beautiful,  But you see, a blossom is only beautiful because it is temporary."

"You should be careful with dreamlands because when you wake up, it may not be very pleasant."


No comments:

Post a Comment