2.21.2011

Saawariya

Saawariya
India (Bollywood)
2007
Starring:  Ranbir Kapoor, Soman Kapoor, and Salman Khan

Saawariya didn't contain anything new for me, but it was still a beautiful movie. The movie was a cross between Pretty Woman and Moulan Rogue, with a little more innocence then either; not saying it directly pulls from the plots, but the Sawwariya reminds me of both.  With that said the scenes are absolutely beautiful; the filming mirrors that statement as well.  They did a great job creating romantic mysticism with dimly lit foggy scenes.  The town itself reminds me of Venice in general appearance and feel, but has a vibrant look to it in the dark that I don't recall of Venice; all of that with a traditional Indian overlay and some custom neon and coloring to finish it off.  If for nothing else then the sheer romanticism created by the sets alone I would watch this movie again.  The scenery in short is poetic.

The acting was good.  Sonam like many Bollywood actresses is just absolutely gorgeous and plays her part well.  Ranbir allso put on a stellar performance.  One of them a hopeless drifter who sings his way through bars and the other a woman awaiting a love who promised to come back to her the following Eid; they meet on a bridge and the stars can tell the rest of the story.  Together they made a movie that reminds you when love is hopeless life will go on.

I did have to take and download a different subtitle file then the one that came on the DVD and play the movie through an alternate viewer that would let me force overlay subtitles.  The one that came with the movie didn't seem to match the spoken dialog; seemed like a lot more talking was going on then I was reading.  With a different subtitle file I got a much better translation I think and translations of the songs (which are half the reason why I watch Bollywood movies anyway).  If anyone else finds they have the same ailment and need help with the subs let me know, it's a simple process.

No comments:

Post a Comment