2.27.2011

Faana

Fanaa
India (Bollywood)
2006
Starring:  Aamir Khan, Kajol, Tabu, and Rishi Kapoor

You know how most Bollywood movies have an intermission because they are so long?  The second part of this movie was nothing like the first, it was truly like a second movie.  There aren't many times that I am caught off guard by the turn of events in a movie, usually I find movies predictable... this one was all but predictable.  From drama, to romance, to action, and some adventure this movie evokes many different sentiments.  The cinematography in the movie is absolutely stunning full of amazing sweeping views of gorgeous countrysides and scenery and Delhi as well.  The music is interesting in this movie.  A portion of the same tune is used in about 90% of the musical sequences.  How it changed to fit the different songs is through the whole movie and was still recognizable is unique.  The brave attempts at poetry through the whole first half was cool also; I'm quite sure this would have been a more enjoyable experience if I could understand the native audio - poetry always looses some of its constructive points in translation.

Zooni, a young blind woman who's lived a sheltered life.  She leaves the most important thing in her life, her family, and travels to Dehli in a grand adventure with her father's reluctant permission.  Through most of the movie she is recounting quotes of her father's wisdom, which I found quite enjoyable and personally reminded me of someone I used to know.   Rehan, "God's greatest gift" in his own words, is a tourguide.  Destiny brings them together and what follows if the story of a lifetime.  The path of their relationship takes the most unforeseen twists as Zooni makes a decision to undergo a corrective surgery to restore her sight.  Fanaa is quite cheesy in an enjoyable way through the first half.

Seeing a Bollywood movie with a blind woman as the leading character was interesting to me.  Kajol did a great job in keeping her eyes from reacting to visual stimuli during filming.

In all if you're a fan of Bollywood I have to recommend this movie it wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't bad either.  It's a awesome love story and has the wft? factor going through quite a bit of it.  I'm glad I gave it the chance.

Quote:  The choice isn't between good and evil.  That's easy.  The real choices of life are choosing between the lesser of two evils, or the greater of two goods.

2 comments:

  1. Does this film have any mature content? I really want to see it, and I always like to know what sort of content a film has, before watching it. I can't find any movie website that gives me said information.

    Great review, by the way! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in the US it probably would have been rated PG-13 or R. One of the great things about Bollywood though as opposed to Tollywood or even Hollywood is that they allow very little in the way of nudity, vulgarity, or wanton displays of violence making them good family movies. I would say it is appropriate for most people even though there is some violence. To make that short I would allow my teenagers to watch it - if I had any. Thanks for reading and if you watch it let me know what you think.

      Delete