1.25.2011

Jadesoturi - Jade Warrior

Jadesoturi - Jade Warrior
2009
Finland
Starring:  Tommi Eronen, Markku Peltola, and Jingchu Zhang

Is a fusion of an epic Finnish poem called The Kalevala and Chinese feudal wuxia this movie is the first from Finland to make it into Chinese cinemas.

Kai, the main character in this movie, remembers his past when he was a master blacksmith in China.  His blacksmith past from another life is riddled with mystery, love, sacrifice, and challenge.

I rated this movie a 3 on netflix because I liked it, but I didn't love it.  This movie wasn't overly spectacular and I was watching a subtitled version, but it did have some cool concepts.  A blacksmith must save the world for his love of lifetimes ago to be his again; can he rise to the occasion?  For the story alone I would rate it a 4 or 5, but I personally have a hard time with most movies from Scandinavia; sad, yet true and I cannot say why.  Even with all that said I would recommend this movie.  The action and intrigue come in irregular intervals and just in time to pull your attention back to the story.  Check it out for yourself and let me know what you think.  In cases like this one I am more than happy to pay for the rental just to do the little I can to encourage the cross cultural collaboration.

Quote:  "That kind of oath should not have been sworn alone.  It becomes a curse."

Blog Ping Services

No comments:

Post a Comment