1.23.2011

Samsara

Samsara 2001

Samsara caught my interest because the movie is centered around a  Buddhist monk who questions what he is doing meditating and praying all day.  He questions what it is to be selfless and not have desires.  When he asks his teacher directly one day the response is, "What is better? Satisfying one thousand desires or conquering just one?"  Of course the movie does a good job defining the Buddhist concept of Samsara, the movie is aptly named.

Samsara surprised me as the movie went on.  I was quite bored with the story at first and watched for the amazing scenery.  After a while I found myself watching the story and not the scenery.  In this movie the monk leaves his holy temple, falls in love, has an amazing impact on those around him, changes his life and that of many others.  The movie is not fast paced nor is full of action.  The love story of this movie is not one of timeless love, but instead one of a strong bond that may or may not be broken.  The spiritual love story in this movie is one I am glad I did take the time to watch.  There is one question asked at the beginning of this movie which is answered at the end:  How does one keep a drop of water from drying up?   The answer is so simple..
If anyone watches this and would like to discuss theories on what the ending means I would be more than happy to entertain that conversation.  Do be warned that this movie contains some very sexually explicit scenes, I had to shut it off as my little brother ran through my house when I was watching it.  In the end for me this movie was well worth watching.  It is a little out of my typical genre selection, but amazing in so many ways.  I also give props to the director for putting out such a well composed movie on a small budget; it is deserving of the AFI and Melbourne Film Festival awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment